Wetting the bed in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetting the bed in hospital

I have always wondered about hospital bedwetting.

I know that hospitals stock nappies... after all there are many children, elderly and sick people in hospitals who do not have control of their fuctions and need them.

But does anyone have any experiences?

I always figured, A&E departments in the UK take in hundreds of young drunk people every Friday and Saturday night. If you are inebriated enough to need to go to hospital then there is fair chance you will piss yourself. I am certain that drunk people pissing their pants in A&E is a very common Friday and Saturday night occurance.

Has anyone done that? If you are left to recover on a bed and piss yourself in a UK hospital, do they put you in a nappy? (I remember the thing German hospitals did a few years ago where they put nappies on drunk teens, to humiliate them more than anything else, never saw any being wet in the videos though!).

What about being in hospital for something else but being a bedwetter, either as a child or adult? What experiences did you have?

Aloo

Did you see 24 Hours in A&E on C4 (24 Hours in the ER in the USA - airs on BBC America)?

Happened a couple of times that they mentioned in that show. Nothing was ever shown but some girl came in so drunk that they had to explain to her that she was pissed in both senses of the word. I'm sure they gave her a clean gown while she waited to sober up but other than that, I doubt they'd do any more beyond the underpad they stick under everybody in hospitals these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Aloo
      I have always wondered about hospital bedwetting.

I know that hospitals stock nappies... after all there are many children, elderly and sick people in hospitals who do not have control of their fuctions and need them.

But does anyone have any experiences?

I always figured, A&E departments in the UK take in hundreds of young drunk people every Friday and Saturday night. If you are inebriated enough to need to go to hospital then there is fair chance you will piss yourself. I am certain that drunk people pissing their pants in A&E is a very common Friday and Saturday night occurance.

Has anyone done that? If you are left to recover on a bed and piss yourself in a UK hospital, do they put you in a nappy? (I remember the thing German hospitals did a few years ago where they put nappies on drunk teens, to humiliate them more than anything else, never saw any being wet in the videos though!).

What about being in hospital for something else but being a bedwetter, either as a child or adult? What experiences did you have?

Aloo
      Can't speak for the UK, but in the U.S. I have been hospitalized on two occasions. The first, I wet the bed the first night- During the night the nurse discovered it, and the bed was changed and I was diapered by the nurse. From then on, diaper at night (was there 4 nights). They check you a couple of times and if wet, change it. Real service.

Comment

Originally posted by Floater
        Can't speak for the UK, but in the U.S. I have been hospitalized on two occasions. The first, I wet the bed the first night- During the night the nurse discovered it, and the bed was changed and I was diapered by the nurse. From then on, diaper at night (was there 4 nights). They check you a couple of times and if wet, change it. Real service.
        Wow, were you of an age when bedwetting is still fairly normal, or older? Did they say anything when they discovered the wet bed?

I kinda guessed that your average A&E department will not diaper drunks who have wet themselves, but I do wonder what they do. Just leave people in their pissy clothes I suspect. I guess on Sunday mornings there's a few people leaving A&E departments across the UK in cold damp clothes!!

Aloo

Comment

Originally posted by Aloo
          Wow, were you of an age when bedwetting is still fairly normal, or older? Did they say anything when they discovered the wet bed?

Aloo
          I was 24, so no-not a kid. They were total pros. The first night the nurse asked me matter of factly whether this was unusual or happend "from time to time". I was honest with her and told her I was sill an occasional bedwetter. She thanked me and told me it made a difference as to what type of diaper they put on me. Apparently they use a much heavier diaper for chronic adult BW.

Comment

newspaper

Health service cuts

The was a article in the news paper the other week and it noted that some patients when asking to be helped to the loo were told that the nurse was too busy and to go in the bed if need be. She would clean up later when she had time.

The relatives and the patient were not pleased ...I would be being asked by a nurse to go in bed she will clean up later! I did not just involve pee either.

Wildwet

Comment

Bedwetting in Hospital

In Germany its standard procedure do diaper helpless persons, esp. those heavily intoxicated. Can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klnL_...feature=fvwrel

Text is in German, but the pics are pretty obvious. Enjoy,
              Tim

Comment

I too have been visiting in a hospital and heard the staff say something similar.

Comment

What was their reaction to the information did they wet poo the bed?

Comment

Pissing in a bedpan from another board any similar experiences here?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Hi, How many of you have had experiences with pissing while confined to bed?

A while ago I was in hospital, and after the surgeory I was confined to bed for a few days, so obviously I had to take care of my "bodily functions" while lying down! This was the first time I ever pissed in a bed pan and was VERY VERY funny!

I called the nurse and told her that I needed to have a Piss, so she went and got a pan, and handed it to me and proceeded to close the curtain and leave me to it. I explained that I was a "virgin" at pissing in a bed pan and didn't see how I could possibly use it while lying down! She told me to just position it under my ass and let the piss run down into it! I tried it, but as I was very full, I just "let go" and .... Yep, you guessed it.... My piss shot out of me so hard, it went straight out, over the bed, and onto the floor about 3 feet past the end of the bed! The Nurse was stunned! She didn't know what to say! I started to laugh so much that I farted, and by doing that, I went into hysterics, and needless to say, My entire bed had to be changed, and the floor mopped! (literally pissing myself laughing!) After that, they decided to catheterise me.

Comment

Dont know about other places but here drunken young teens seem to be put into nappies at the hospital to make them feel embarassed and humiliated in front of their parents or whatever. I think its wrong, it isnt needed and hospital staff shouldnt have to touch and clean up a teenager down there like a baby.

Reason i feel like that is because it happened to my 15 year old son recently. Sure i was mad but im sure most teens go through the drinking thing at least once. When i turned up at the hospital my son was diapered and wearing nothing else but a short hospital shirt, they should at least cover them up, loads of other patients, visitors and hospital staff could see my son in nothing but a short t shirt and a diaper/nappy. He was really embarrassed and they wouldn't let him use the bathroom and kept telling him that he was wearing his bathroom, he was almost crying about having to wet and dirty himself at 15 then have the hospital staff clean him up but when we went home he did keep it on until the next day because i wanted him to remember it and learn from his mistakes. When i talked to the nurse about it, she said it was standard procedure for all drunken teens to be treated like that for practical and education reasons, they are supposed to feel humiliated.

I had to wear diapers for bedwetting when i was a child but i soon got used to it and it became apart of me, but it can be really degrading.
                      Last edited by Erin; October 23, 2012, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. Diapers in hospitals should be reserved for incontinent patients and senior citizens too weak to use a bedpan. I am all for wetting and messing for fun (pants, I'm not really into the diaper thing), but forced wetting and or messing, in diapers or pants, as a punishment is just plain wrong.

Comment

Well the fact is that if you are drunken to the point to be brought to the hospital, it is likely that you will end up wetting the bed if not more. Then the nurses have other much more important tasks than taking care of the wet sheets of a stupid teenager who does not know his limits or just played the common game to know who will be the most stupid. Then if to that there is a deterrent effect that will avoid seeing them again every weekend, then it is all benefits.
                          If parents are shocked by this, I am more shocked that the insurances (and indirectly us) have to pay for those kids. If parents would have to assume the full costs of the mistakes of their kids, I bet we would hear less the "oh, we all did stupid things, that is just how teenagers behave..."

Comment

Originally posted by fred091978
                            Well the fact is that if you are drunken to the point to be brought to the hospital, it is likely that you will end up wetting the bed if not more. Then the nurses have other much more important tasks than taking care of the wet sheets of a stupid teenager who does not know his limits or just played the common game to know who will be the most stupid. Then if to that there is a deterrent effect that will avoid seeing them again every weekend, then it is all benefits.
                            If parents are shocked by this, I am more shocked that the insurances (and indirectly us) have to pay for those kids. If parents would have to assume the full costs of the mistakes of their kids, I bet we would hear less the "oh, we all did stupid things, that is just how teenagers behave..."

I guess your right, it probably is practical to keep a drunken teenager diapered. I was just a little angry at the time and how they went about it. I did keep my son diapered for a little while after to make him remember it and learn a lesson.

Comment

I think you're totally in the right to be angry at the hospital staff Erin. Diapering someone who is passed out makes sense but denying anyone the chance to go in a toilet after they're sober enough to do so is cruel and serves no medical purpose. Clearly that was done to punish/humiliate him, which is your call to make as a parent.

As for the insurance/public health dept. having to pay for it, they/we also pick up the tab for adults in the same situation.

How long did your son's diaper punishment last?

Comment

Working...
                              X