email showing up in Google searched from this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email showing up in Google searched from this site

If you google my email address it brings up this website. Actually your old one and message board posts. This is soooo not cool.. You really need to either remove that board, or remove peoples email addresses from it.

IMO the old board should just be done away with. No point in it now.

Of course the OP probably should have been smarter than to share a publicly known e-mail address on this site.

Comment

Write out 100 times:

The Internet is forever. Therefore, I will always use disposable email addresses on websites I wouldn't want my boss to know I visit.

Comment

Stop robots

To stop search engines indexing certain pages in the head of the webpage put this

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

Then make a .txt file named robots paste the following and place it on the server

To exclude all robots from part of the server
        User-agent: * Disallow: /cgi-bin/ Disallow: /tmp/ Disallow: /private/

or

To allow all robots complete access
        User-agent: * Disallow:
        Or create an empty “/robots.txt” file.

This is why people get so much bother because 'web designers' I use the words loosely end up with problems.

Comment

That's not entirely correct. Robots.txt is a voluntary system which relies on the search engine's bot being well behaved and honouring your request. While most of the big ones do, at least as far as not indexing content they're told not to, less mainstream or more nefarious search engines just ignore it or even go straight for the juicy stuff that you've generously told them where to find by saying "please don't index /path/to/secret/stuff". All the search engines have quirks in the way they interpret the (rather loose) robots.txt standards and writing a set of directives that cover everything for all the major search engines can be a real pain in the arse on a site of any real size. Bottom line is that you don't use robots.txt to hide sensitive info.

There's also the fact that cutting off search engine indexing of popular parts of a website site is a great way to reduce the flow of new visitors. Sites like this depend on search engine traffic...

A much better way to solve this problem is for each user to simply not put their personal information on a fetish website... Use anonymous email accounts - even if the site doesn't disclose it, you don't want to find "New Private Message from Wet Set Message Boards" in your inbox when your mother-in-law is stood behind you, no? Don't use your first name and the initial of your surname as your username and then post about the small town you're from. Similarly (and this is the hardest to keep to) don't slowly drip-feed information in your posts over time that when considered as a whole can identify you to friends or colleagues... It's just simple and obvious internet common sense.
          Last edited by xxxxx; December 9, 2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X