No announcement yet.

Whats going on with all the SPAM!!!???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats going on with all the SPAM!!!???

WTF has happened to this place???

Mods are asleep and the boards are slowly dying (in case you didn't already know)

Comment

That's not necessary

Comment

The reason they changed the format of the board to this new one was to stop the spam and the flame wars. None of which happened.

Comment

its not been to bad untill that last week or so so whats changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Anything4mybabe
            its not been to bad untill that last week or so so whats changed?
            It's no different from when this new format was instigated. OK, occasionally some spam gets through but it is removed in reasonable time. Going off your posting history and the length of time you have been a member, maybe you just don't come on here as often as some others. Maybe you just happened to come on the board between the time the spam was posted and subsequently removed which was about ten hours.

Generally speaking, this format of board is better to stop the spamming than the old format. However, I also think it stifles real comments from being posted and true debate suffers for it. If you are afraid you will be banned for speaking out you tend not to but that is detremental to the forum. I have been banned four times so far since this new format but I will not be silenced for long. I just open another hotmail account in a different name and re-join.

Having to register to post is something Paul was dead against a couple of years ago and fought against changing the format. That was until Nikki walked into the shop and took over...

The old format was better to moderate as well because any spam could be highlighted by us readers and when the mods looked at the board they could see that. Now, each link has to be opened by the mods to see if it is a spam post or not.

Comment

Ive actually been a long time visitor, have been about these parts since the days of patches! Ive just only recently felt the need to register.

I to liked the old format but i aslo like the new, both have there good points and bad but as most other forums are this format it makes it easy to use.

As for reporting spam if you find a spam post if you look to the top right of that post there is a warning triangle, if you click that you can flag and abuse if the forum. I admit, what good it will do if the admins are useless but I live in hope.
              Last edited by Anything4mybabe; January 16, 2012, 09:41 AM.

Comment

The boards have been hit quite heavily with spam over the last few days but this kind of spam (Spammers using programs that post) is the most difficult type to control as banning the ip address makes no difference, as the program will get in with a different one each time. Fortunately these attacks never last to long and we are trying to keep on top of it.

If you see it before we do, it's pretty obvious that its spam before you even start reading, so just skip on to another post.

And undergirl, yes your right. Our mods do sometimes sleep, just like yourself and the rest of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by KingPlant
                  I have been banned four times so far since this new format but I will not be silenced for long. I just open another hotmail account in a different name and re-join.
                  You could just take the hint...

Comment

Originally posted by Apemantus
                    You could just take the hint...
                    You have been hated for some of your posts in the past so you have no room to talk.

I got banned, not for what I said, but who I was... BIG difference

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Set
                      The boards have been hit quite heavily with spam over the last few days but this kind of spam (Spammers using programs that post) is the most difficult type to control as banning the ip address makes no difference, as the program will get in with a different one each time. Fortunately these attacks never last to long and we are trying to keep on top of it.
                      Solution 1: Make it so that new members cannot create a new thread with their first post. They must reply to an existing thread before making a new one.

Solution 2: Add some wetting related questions to the registration process. A computer won't know how to answer them, but a WS fan will.

I have seen both solutions implemented on other boards with a large degree of success.

Also, perhaps it would help if you had a mod who was actually on during American hours.
                      Last edited by DeltaFoxtrot; January 17, 2012, 04:18 AM.

Comment

The world doesn't revolve around america. In fact some people don't like america.

Comment

Fact of the matter is most people on this board are Americans and most of the spam being posted occurs during American hours.

Comment

That is no reason why they should have an american moderator. Why not just report spam when you see it and wait for the Australian moderator (actually Scotish living in Australia) to do their job. I am in the UK so there are time when I am on here when all america are also tucked up in bed but I am not crying for a UK moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFoxtrot
                              Solution 1: Make it so that new members cannot create a new thread with their first post. They must reply to an existing thread before making a new one.

Solution 2: Add some wetting related questions to the registration process. A computer won't know how to answer them, but a WS fan will.

I have seen both solutions implemented on other boards with a large degree of success.

Also, perhaps it would help if you had a mod who was actually on during American hours.
                              I think this is a good solution, if nothing else, it'll cut down on the spam. There will always be ways to circumvent what systems are in place, but we still need to try.

Why is there such a negative reaction to having another moderator in different time zone? This is a common practice for these reasons as well as many others.

Comment

Working...
                              X