Old pictures from Shara & Ger's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old pictures from Shara & Ger's?

The oldest picture page on there is 700. Any chance you guys could zip up those 699 previous pages and throw them up on sendspace or something like that? I doubt I'm the only person who'd really appreciate it.

I have wondered why Ger does not sell DVD's of his old stuff Does anyone have a full set of FD picts? It is a historic site and surely someone was there from the start?
    Beware; my experience of collecting FD is that the numbers do not run consecutively from Desp1 to DespXXXXX. I never got an explanation from Ger on this.
    While we are at nostalgia, does anyone have complete sets of all the stories from Thomas's Water resources? Or all the Giga Pictures? I seem to remember that Mactalus was thinking of collecting all the Giga before he disappeared.

Comment

Final word: My personal archive of FD is 966MB and 10590 files; all.jpg so they will not compress by much if at all. Ger deserves some copyright protection since he has put all this together. If he wants to try to make money by selling some or all of this, up to him. Sorry but I do not have the internet connection or time to put this on line. i think it is up to Ger if he wants to do this. I respect him for all the effort he ahs made to set up and run a free site.

Comment

He has no copyright* and probably isn't selling the content because very little of it is his. It's all either user-submitted (read: scraped from twitter) or given to him by Skymouse. The missing numbers are probably ones he's been asked to remove for exactly that reason. I think he does it all by hand, though, so there's probably gaps due to human error too.

Storage capacity is probably why he takes them down. 28831 pictures at let's say 200KB each is over 5 terrabytes of data. Ouch. Even if both of those are over-estimates, it's still a lot of data, more than is allocated to him by his hosting provider most likely.

(*except for stuff he produced, artwork, code, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by xxxxx
          28831 pictures at let's say 200KB each is over 5 terrabytes of data. Ouch. Even if both of those are over-estimates, it's still a lot of data, more than is allocated to him by his hosting provider most likely.
          Except you're off by several orders of magnitude. It's about 5 gigabytes, not terabytes. I.e., about 1/1000th of your estimate. That's pretty cheap in today's hosting plans.

Comment

Originally posted by kochel428
            Except you're off by several orders of magnitude. It's about 5 gigabytes, not terabytes. I.e., about 1/1000th of your estimate. That's pretty cheap in today's hosting plans.
            LOL - math seems always to be a pain in the ass...

I have a loose collection (of what I liked or what I did not forget to download) of about 1000 FD pics. But I hesitate making them downloadable in public because I'd feel uneasy about it.

Comment

Whatever the legal position on copyright, I would hesitate to post all of my FD content on line as I think it "belongs" to Ger as he took the trouble to set up a web-site and post the stuff in the first place. If the old tuff ahs gone missing, that is the way of the net. if Ger thinks there is interest in the first posting, it is up to him to set up some way of making it accessible.
              His images vary in size, and I have 650GB according to "my computer" I have not tried to post them, but I know that I can back them up to a DVD.
              If Ger can't sell them because of Copyright, then can anyone else?

Ger's site is only one example of interesting stuff becoming out of date and lost on the Internet. maybe we should be working out ways of all this old stuff being kept and available, even if on a pay site.
              For example: All the Giga picts... Project Pee picts... Thomas stories and others that I have never even seen.
              Mactalus tried to keep and offer some of this and was flamed and abused fro doing so. Anyone else does at their own risk.
              Life is transient and if you are lucky you are there to get something when it happens. If not???

Comment

Correction to the last post. I should have checked or thought; I have 690MB of Despxx picts, starting with Desp1. The total of 10590 files shows that I do not have them all, if they do run consecutively from 1 to 20,000+
                There should be aarchive where all such material can be stored and accessed.

Comment

There is such an archive: The Internet Wayback Machine. This has copies of Female Desperation back to the early days when low numbered pages were still available: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...edesperation//. Unfortunately, though, because Female Desperation is protected from leeching (other sites linking to or providing downloads of hosted material), the pictures themselves were not archived and show a 302 error. This also explains why direct links to FD images posted on this and other boards do not work (except for the oroginal poster who has just accessed them through FD).

These old pages explain that the first blocks of images were removed to save bandwidth. That was the issue, not the space occupied which, as kochel428 says, is pretty small by modern standards. For those who are not aware, Female Desperation is hosted on Skymouse's servers that host Wetting Her Panties, etc (which is why FD has lots of links to and ads for WHP).
                  Last edited by Wet Trousers; August 18, 2014, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Tester
                    Correction to the last post. I should have checked or thought; I have 690MB of Despxx picts, starting with Desp1. The total of 10590 files shows that I do not have them all, if they do run consecutively from 1 to 20,000+
                    There should be aarchive where all such material can be stored and accessed.
                    Care to clarify about the archive? As in you think putting the collection online might be doable?

Comment

Clarification

For my own part, I am not thinking of setting up such an archive. I do not have the skill or the internet connection. But.. if there was somewhere I could post some stuff, I might just do so.
                      In the meantime, why not try to persuade Ger to keep updating his "Oldies" section more frequently. If he was to start with the first page, and post a new one every week or month or whenever he updates, a regular visitor could get the complete collection in time. or he could get together with Wet-Set and make a DVD for purchase with the whole archive on it.
                      Trouble might be that he does not own the copyright to his pictures as he gets them from the internet or sent in by member. Does anyone care?? I think that anyone who posts something on the Internet that can be downloaded is giving up whatever copyright might exist. Other might disagree; I recall that Maxie had trouble with this and a picture site that allowed free downloads. Now that site has stopped and sells the pictures (if they are lucky enough to find any buyers.
                      I am only interested in sites that keep it free or only charge enough to cover costs. Maxie only charged a nominal sum to access his much missed archive.
                      There is a Yahoo Group Desperate to Pee that has some of the old FD pictures, and you might find others lying about on the net.

Comment

Okay, I've resisted for a long while to say this and I am sorry to Shara and Ger for posting this, but most of the old pictures are still accessible.

There's no page for them, but for example picture 2000 can be accessed directly through http://members.easyshag.com/femalede...s/desp2000.jpg .
                        The only thing blocking you is their broken-ass hotlink protection. Now if you're a bit technical like me, you know that hotlink protection is ridiculously easy to circumvent.

I'm not going to post how; just Google if you want to know.
                        And to the people who do know, show some respect for their decision to limit this and do not start mass-downloading these pictures

Comment

Drying. well said. That hotlink protection has been the cause of too much trouble. What is the point of it anyway: to stop innocents bypassing the "are you an adult" question???
                          I don't know how to bypass it, nor do I care, but it occurs to me that before page 700 are about 10,000 images, so that's a lot of typing just to get all the old stuff. And a warning; much of it is not much good; just as the accessible stuff; pictures of wet underwear, college students in wet jeans...etc. etc.
                          what we need is a "best of FD page" but that is a personal choice and open to much argument, so where do we go from here?

Comment

No Paul, you're misunderstanding me.
                            Hotlink protection is good. It solves a real problem.
                            Because of hotlink protection, if I put an image from their server on, say, a forum post somewhere else, nobody will be able to see it (unless they've tinkered a bit with their browser).
                            This way, pictures cannot leave the confines of the website. This saves them from a lot of trouble, given they have an age wall, and it saves them from the cost of having to pay for all that extra bandwidth.

The reason I called their hotlink protection broken, is that it is incorrect in a very small but very annoying detail (a common mistake, even). If I type a URL into my address bar to navigate to it, hotlink protection should not activate. There is no reason to do this; I am not following a hotlink.

If they want to enforce their age wall, they should enforce the age wall (although I don't see the necessity as their entry page is the age wall), not abuse a hotlink-protection mechanism for this. I'm sure that because of this, their entire website will not work for people with certain browsers, virusscanners and firewalls.

</rant>

This had been bugging me for years xD
                            Last edited by Drying; August 24, 2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

To save readers wasting their time, Shara's and Ger's does not display the image if you type the address straight into the address bar, you still get re-directed to the landing page.

The standard hotlinking mechanisms do suffer from the technical fault that Drying describes, but this website uses a combination of controls. If you test this, you may not notice it because, if you have visited the site recently, you may be shown the image. But, if you go straight to the image a while later or someone else does, the protection cuts in. The website describes it as hot-linking protection but is is more than that.

It looks like it is a combination of server hot-linking protection and cookie(s).

If you route through the landing page to an image via an index so the image address is in your address bar and then change it to an old image no longer linked, it still doesn't work (and you would have to guess the right numerical bit in the middle as the collection seems to be broken into chunks, it is currently chunk 14), so it looks like the cookie control tracks that you came from the correct index page, not just the correct domain.

The add-ons you can add to browsers like Firefox to spoof referrers don't work either, probably for similar reasons.

So I think Ger can be credited with a bit of ingenuity to protect the hosting WHP site from leeching and stolen bandwidth!

Comment

Working...
                              X